Select your country
Select a country to go to the website of the respective STADA sales company.
United Kingdom (4)
STADA takes clear lead in Russian consumer healthcare sector
- Press Release
- STADA has today closed a US$660 million transaction of a Russian brand portfolio from Takeda. STADA has reinforced its position as the leading foreign investor in the Russian pharmaceutical industry.
- The acquisition of around 20 OTC and prescription pharmaceutical assets from Takeda makes STADA the clear market leader in Russia’s consumer healthcare sector.
- STADA CEO Peter Goldschmidt commented: “This transaction reflects not only our commitment to our operations in Russia, but also our successful growth journey as we continue to strengthen our core generics and consumer healthcare businesses internationally, both organically and through targeted business-development activities.”
Bad Vilbel, March 04, 2020 – STADA is now the largest foreign investor in the Russian pharmaceutical industry, following the completion today of a US$ 660 million transaction for a Russian brand portfolio from Takeda and having invested in around EUR 1 billion in recent years. The transaction will enable the group to continue expanding its presence and investments in Russia.
Having closed the previously announced acquisition from Takeda, STADA has now obtained a portfolio of approximately 20 selected over-the-counter (‘OTC’) and prescription pharmaceutical assets sold in Russia, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Kazakhstan, and Uzbekistan.
Based on data from IQVIA, including the Aqualor brand, the transaction makes STADA the clear market leader in Russia’s consumer healthcare sector with a 6.4% market share.
Peter Goldschmidt, CEO of STADA, commented: “This is an important strategic step for STADA and positions us as the leading player in a large and expanding Russian consumer healthcare market. This transaction reflects not only our commitment to our operations in Russia, but also our successful growth journey as we continue expanding our core generics and consumer healthcare businesses internationally, both organically and through targeted business-development activities.”
The portfolio acquired from Takeda complements the existing portfolio of STADA in Russia comprising of over 150-products including medicines from more or less all therapeutic areas. This portfolio includes vitamins and food supplements, plus selected products within the cardiovascular, diabetes, general medicine, and respiratory therapeutic areas. Included in the transaction is the category-leading cardiovascular brand Cardiomagnyl, as well as the patent-protected diabetes treatment Nesina and Edarbi, an angiotensin II receptor blocker for controlling blood pressure.
- Germany-based STADA now employs over 3,000 people in Russia & CIS, plus an additional 450 sales and marketing representatives who have transitioned from Takeda. This makes the company the second-largest employer in the Russian pharmaceutical sector.
- Having made a major foreign investment in Russia in 2005 by acquiring Nizhpharm, including a facility on a 46,000sqm site in Nizhny Novgorod, STADA committed further to local manufacturing in 2006 by adding Hemofarm and its 12,300sqm plant in Obninsk.
- Further transactions like Makiz Pharma, including the popular Aqualor nasal-spray range, combined with the Takeda deal to take STADA’s foreign investment in Russia to more than EUR 1 billion. Most recently, STADA also announced an agreement to acquire 15 brands from GlaxoSmithKline, including Coldrex, a well-known cold and flu remedy in Russia.
- Looking at the retail sector of Russia’s total pharmaceutical market, STADA is now ranked a strong second with a 4.2% market share. STADA is also among the top-5 pharmaceutical companies overall in Russia.
About STADA Arzneimittel AG
STADA Arzneimittel AG is headquartered in Bad Vilbel, Germany. The company focuses on a two pillar strategy consisting of generics, including specialty pharmaceuticals and non-prescription consumer health products. Worldwide, STADA Arzneimittel AG sells its products in approximately 120 countries. In financial year 2018, STADA achieved adjusted Group sales of EUR 2,330.8 million and adjusted earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization (EBITDA) of EUR 503.5 million. As of December 31, 2018, STADA employed 10,416 people worldwide.
Additional information for journalists
STADA Arzneimittel AG / Media Relations / Stadastrasse 2-18 / 61118 Bad Vilbel – Germany / Phone: +49 (0) 6101 603-165 / Fax: +49 (0) 6101 603-215 / E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Additional information for capital market participants
STADA Arzneimittel AG / Investor & Creditor Relations / Stadastrasse 2-18 / 61118 Bad Vilbel – Germany / Phone: +49 (0) 6101 603-4689 / Fax: +49 (0) 6101 603-215 / E-mail: email@example.com